The Seven Ages [My First Poem]

| Posted in , , , , | Posted on 11:45 PM

  [So, uh... I wrote this thing way back in the ninth grade. Our English literature book had an extract from William Shakespeare's As You Like It called 'The Seven Ages,' and our English teacher asked all the students in the class to write their own interpretation of it, in the form of a poem or whatever. So I wrote mine and I stood second, and it's probably gonna be the only prize I'll ever win for poetry. I've left this thing unedited, though I'd so LOVE to make a few edits. :)]



The Seven Ages




When I was an infant,
I heard I used to be cute
But I would trouble my parents
And everywhere I would puke

In my childhood,
I learnt things like 'ABC'
And though my parents were too busy,
They took time out to play with me

In my adolescence,
I would have fun with my friends…
And I wouldn't stop crying
When a ‘Relationship’ ends

Step into youth,

I’m all armed and ready to fight!
And seeking all the glory
I would work hard day and night

In my middle age, 

I had to work to earn my dime
But I dint respond to my family’s call
And that sure was a crime

In my old age, 

My children took care of me
I took a lot of medicines
But my children, they helped me see

And now, people think I’ve grown old

But I've been reduced to a child
And I await my death…
I want it to be peaceful and mild

Srimanta Mitra 

IX-A

Comments (3)

Hahaha!
This poem is so much better than the original! :D
It's positive, and unlike Shakespeare's style, it's not twisted :P

@Harsheeney!:
Umm, thanks, but I don't really think this is all that good. The first stanza though, is... true. :)

@Fizz:
Did you just seriously compare me to Shakespeare? *Forgive My Poor Friend Here Lord, For She Knew Not What She Did*
Agreed, it's not twisted.
But seriously, You think I beat Shakespeare?? Haha. Chick. You're craaaaazy. Believe me. :)

Yeah, you beat him, from the bottom. :P
Hahha, just kidding. The poem can be interpreted, that's it ;)