The Flip Side

| Posted in , , , , | Posted on 1:03 PM


  Okay, so this poem is a part of a BIGGER STORY I'm working on, and it's kind of relevant to the plot of that story, but I thought it'd be good as a standalone poem too. What happens is, there's this guy who looks at a mirror from a distance, and he sees this girl he likes whom he never really had the courage to approach(clichéd, I know; makes more sense in the story). He then starts introspecting and wonders how it might've been had he possessed the courage to approach her and subsequently calls that side of the world doesn't exist, the 'flip(read: laterally inverted) side' and writes this poem.  

The Flip Side

I looked into the mirror again 
And I liked what I saw 
The flip side is always more alluring… 

Lost in its gaze, 
I saw myself with you, darling 
And we were together, yes… 

I never took as long to say hi, you know 
It happened much faster here 
It’s better over here, anyway… 

I asked you for a pen 
You gave one to me with a shy smile, 
I gave it back with a shyer one… 

We got closer to each other, 
Faster than the trees grow 
And the flowers bloom… 

How mad we were for each other was silly 
But in a world full of madmen, 
We were even madder… 

I gave you my heart 
And you never chose to break it 
And I never broke yours… 

We lay cradled in each other’s arms 
And we finally figured for ourselves, 
That love was no delusion… 

But damn the flip side! 

In truth, my heart beats without reason 
And I’m freezing outside 
In the absence of your warmth 

And for the delusion that love is, 
All I have is your shadow 
That disappears in the darkness… 

X-x-X

Comments (0)