Fête!

| Posted in , , , , , , , | Posted on 2:17 PM

Disclaimer: Fictionalized Reality
             
   Second time I'd gone to that school for their fête. And I could tell a few things had changed from the previous one. The entry fee had gone up from Rs10 to Rs.20The big rotating car ride wasn't right after the entry - it wasn't even there, and it was the only ride I ever took. Instead, there were rows of food stalls. And in the place they'd been last year, there was a 'hit-the-balloons-with-guns-and-win-prizes' stall. I like observing my surroundings but no so much when it comes to people. Like I could tell you that the coupon counters were at the same place they'd been the last year and so was the Request Corner, but I wouldn't be able to tell you what a cute chick(according to people) was wearing last time as opposed to what she was wearing this year. Though, I'd be able to tell you she was the same chick. 
   I'm not the guy who usually goes to fêtes. I've never been to any other school except Bluebells because it's too bloody close to my home. I walk both ways - up and down - for the simple reason that even if there's nothing fun for me to do, to say the least, I'd be covering insane amounts of distances with my two feet.
   I happened to know someone - and mind you, just one - person from Bluebells this time round. And that was odd because I usually don't socialize. It's just a fancy way of saying I talk to a lot of people and bitch about them too. 
   At the main building of their school, I saw posters of 'Jam Sessions' and I thought, Whoa! That's cool! I can get to jam with random people! So I asked the aforementioned acquaintance of mine what exactly these 'Jam Sessions' were. And to my dismay she said, 'People dance!' I sighed. She also told me they last for half an hour each, pertaining to the 'Sessions' part of the name. I inquired further. 'It's a basement that's made to resemble a disc, and you can dance with your friends.'  Since I was aware of just how cool my moves were on the dance floor, I asked her, 'What if I get bored?' 
   She said, 'You come back up!' 
   So I asked, 'What if I want to go back in?'
   'Spend another hundred bucks and come back in!'
   I sighed.
   One of my friends I went there with, who wasn't from Bluebells got really stoked and asked me to join him in the jam session that was to start in a while. I gave him a 'you-seriously-want-me-to-dance?' look, and in reply he said, 'Heckyeah, what else will you do up here?' Sadly, he had a point. And even more sadly, I spent a hundred bucks to buy a ticket to go to a basement and do something that was the most unfamiliar form of self expression to me: Dance.
   The person who took the tickets tore mine and I saw something really, really nice. A really BIG aquarium placed high above right under the ceiling wall. I didn't even get time to admire it 'cause the people behind me pushed. It was pretty evident they wanted to dance. But more than anything I wanted to roam around the school, and admire fishes. Had I a chance, I'd have said out loud, 'AN AQUARIUM! Freaking fish over my head! COOL!' Thankfully though, I didn't.
   As I approached the 'basement' where everybody was dancing, I felt the bass beats of the song that was currently playing against my heart. I went in and thought, 'Damn, this place sure does resemble a disc!
   Darkness. Roaring, jumping people. SCREAMING people. Dotted lines of green and pink falling on people's faces and hands and whatever the lights found their way to. Not one of those sights that would make an introvert like me jump up in ecstasy. You know, darkness I like. But when it's attached to hip-hop beats and pink-and-green lights, it justs crosses a limit. I thought of the dark corridors illuminated by the aquariums. THAT was the kind of darkness I loved; silent darkness. I wanted to explore. I wanted to run away.
   My friend started dancing. I was just standing next to him gawking at the way he was moving his arms and his legs. Like he had no freaking bones. I started moving mine... though not so confidently or even rhythmically. I looked like a cat was made to dance... on all fours.
   Standing at some distance from us, there were two chicks who were trying to do dance. One of them was actually dancing. The other one was just... you know, people like to try things? Like me. I observed them for what felt like an eternity and went up to the one who wasn't really dancing(again, like me) and asked her if she would like to join me and my friend. Good thing was, even for an introvert like me, it didn't require any mustering up of courage 'cause well, my face was hidden. What more could I even want? 
   She consulted her friend and replied in affirmative.
   The situation looked better now. Instead of two guys dancing alone, there were four people, two of whom were chicks. So technically we could be considered a group. It's always more the merrier. More the crappier to me, but whatever.
   The aforementioned acquaintance was nowhere to be seen. It's not like we could see OR make out any of the people that we saw in that darkness, but still. She was probably dancing with her friends.
    We kept dancing with these two newly formed acquaintances. And I kept dancing like a Frankenstein, and the occasional jumps made it look like he was being shocked.
    The music stopped after another eternity had gone by. The lights were turned back on. People decided to behave like humans again.
    One of the chicks I was dancing with, asked me how I found the jam session. I told her, 'Can't wait for it to start again!' She didn't quite catch the sarcasm in my tone and said, 'Really! We're coming back again too! With our whole group this time!' 
    I reminded myself I had to run away. And I did. I bought a coke on my way out; the only thirty bucks I spent after the hundred for the 'Jam Session'. My friend told me he'd wasted a hundred bucks on the Jam Session, and expressed his desire to meet the aforementioned acquaintance for a full length debate on the topic: 'Jam Sessions Suck', sighting that he'd be speaking for the motion and the acquaintance against. I asked him why he didn't like it in-spite of having danced with chicks he didn't know. He said, 'Not hot enough,' as if he were comparing temperatures of volcanoes. I gave him a 'what-the-freaking-hell-is-wrong-with-you' look. He said, 'I don't know. You're the asexual one for not feeling the same way!'
   I sighed. We wanted to look for the acquaintance but she was nowhere to be seen as before, and the crowd started to look like it had gathered for a mini Woodstock festival, so we left.
   My friend took home just this one observation:
   a) Chicks who visit the Bluebells' Fête are hot (both bluebellians and non-bluebellians included). A majority of them to say the least.
   And I took home a few conclusions:
   a) I like coke when I'm having it after dancing for half an hour.
   b) I like aquariums in school corridors.
   c) I don't like discs, or anything that resembles one.
   d) I like talking to people I don't know only when both our faces are hidden.
   e) I'd be coming back again.


X-x-X     

Comments (0)